|
profile Cecilia Lanny Winata Aliases: Lanny/Cecilia/Xenopus Location: Singapore Occupation: Grad Student, National University of Singapore Interests: Zen, Martial Arts, Japanese Culture and philosophy, Life Sciences, Religious philosophy, Christianity Hobbies: exploring new places, learning new things, walking (preferably outdoors), cooking, eating good food, home making, swimming, sea sports, anime (Naruto being the best by far), good music to accompany my different moods, and good books to read Schools/Past Affiliations: TK Bunda Hati Kudus, Jakarta (Kindergarten); SD Bintang Kejora, Jakarta (Primary 1-2, 4-6); Ironside State School, Brisbane, Australia (Primary 3-4); SLTP Santa Ursula, Jakarta (Secondary School); SMU Santa Ursula (High School); Indonesia International Taekwon-Do Federation (Jelambar, Jakarta); National University of Singapore archives November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 April 2006 May 2006 August 2006 October 2006 January 2007 August 2007 January 2008 March 2008 June 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 affiliates 5h4d0w's Lair My old Friendster blog credits skin by: Jane |
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 @ 8:15 AM
Japan - Day 4: Nara - solitude I awoke to my alarm at 5.30am. I couldn't really sleep well anyway. I ate breakfast, brushed my teeth, and finally set off at around 6am. Dropped my keys at the reception office, and went outside, greeted by the cold. I took a last glance at Tomato guest house and took a picture. I thought to myself that I'd surely miss this place. I hurried on to Kyoto Station to catch the train bound for Nara. As I had confirmed the night before, the Kintetsu Railways ticket office was open quite early (around 6 if I remember correctly). I bought a ticket and proceeded to the platform. The Japanese train system could be confusing, unless trains are a popular means of transport in your country, such as those in Europe. For example, in a single Kyoto Station, at least two different Railways operate - the Japan Railways (JR) and the Kintetsu Railways, each with their own schedules. Additionally, there were several (if not close to 20) platforms, each of them passed by multiple trains going to different destinations. It is a good thing that they are faithful to the schedule down to the last minute. Or seconds. If you see a train in your platform 5 minutes before your supposed departure time, do not ever assume that it is the right one - double-check it if you can't read Japanese. Nara was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to Japan. Another will be the historic trails along the Nakasendo highway. For some reasons, Tokyo would be the last place I wanted to go to in Japan - big cities, Hello Kitty, and Disneyland is just not my cup of tea. So I decided not to join Mike and have fun in my own way. Nara was the capital during the ancient Heian era of the 9th century. During that time, the Japanese were crazy about things Chinese, hence a lot of Chinese cultural items were brought in - two of the most important being Chinese writing and Buddhism. Therefore, it is understandable that Nara, as the capital that time, was the center of Buddhism in Japan. Here is where one would find the oldest traces of Buddhism in the form of ancient temples, shrines, and sculptures. For a serious Japanese culture enthusiast, this is the first place you'd want to set your foot on. And so I left for Todaiji. When I arrived at Todaiji's Southern gate, Nandaimon, the (hungry-looking) deers were already waiting there... in large hordes! Each one looking intently at people passing by, as if ready to pounce at anything that looks edible. With so many pairs of eyes staring at me, I felt rather intimidated... ![]() A warning sign which tells people how dangerous the deers can be when they're mad... Todaiji Southern gate - Nandaimon. I must admit that I have been guilty of not doing proper historical research on the places I had planned to visit. This was largely due to the abrupt decision of making the trip. Nevertheless, the architecture of the buildings, as well as the landscapes of their surroundings were truly magnificent. The fact that they were (although mere relics of the original) designed and built in the 8th century added to the awe factor. Take for example the main hall of Todaiji which, to the present time, is the largest wooden structure in the world, housing an enormous-sized Buddha statue which also happens to be the largest in Japan. I left the Daibutsu and proceeded east towards the hills. It was a chilly and cloudy day, so not many tourists were around. In fact, I almost had this pretty walkway all by myself. I kept on walking, accompanied by the silence, occasionally interrupted by the soft rustling of leaves and chirping of sparrows. It was enchanting and it stirs up a kind of happiness inside me. My original intention was to head for Nigatsu-Do, but right there and then, it didn't seem to matter anymore. And so I walked on, embracing the tranquility, only half-knowing where to go. 0 Comments: |