profile

Cecilia Lanny Winata
Aliases: Lanny/Cecilia/Xenopus
Location: Singapore
Occupation: Grad Student, National University of Singapore
Interests: Zen, Martial Arts, Japanese Culture and philosophy, Life Sciences, Religious philosophy, Christianity
Hobbies: exploring new places, learning new things, walking (preferably outdoors), cooking, eating good food, home making, swimming, sea sports, anime (Naruto being the best by far), good music to accompany my different moods, and good books to read
Schools/Past Affiliations: TK Bunda Hati Kudus, Jakarta (Kindergarten); SD Bintang Kejora, Jakarta (Primary 1-2, 4-6); Ironside State School, Brisbane, Australia (Primary 3-4); SLTP Santa Ursula, Jakarta (Secondary School); SMU Santa Ursula (High School); Indonesia International Taekwon-Do Federation (Jelambar, Jakarta); National University of Singapore



archives

November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
August 2006
October 2006
January 2007
August 2007
January 2008
March 2008
June 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
September 2009



affiliates

5h4d0w's Lair
My old Friendster blog








credits

skin by: Jane
Monday, September 21, 2009 @ 11:48 PM
Japan - Day 3: Kyoto - A thousand gateways

Based on the first day's experience, we decided that:
1. It would be really tiring for us to get up at 5am, especially after a whole day of walking.
2. even if we do get up at 5 am, the air would be so cold we'd probably freeze to death.
3. Thus, a re-adjustment to Mike's schedule should be made: focus on quality rather than quantity - meaning, we're visiting only those places with more meaning to each/both of us.
4. Plus, Mike only has time in Kyoto up to late afternoon as he's taking the last shinkansen to Tokyo in the evening.

Thus, we narrowed down our schedule to three main places: Fushimi-Inari Taisha Jinjya in the South-East, Arashiyama in the West, and Ryoanji and Kinkakuji in the North-West.

From Kyoto station, we took a local train down south to JR Inari station. It was a short ride of about 10 minutes. We tried to minimize the usage of bus today, because we calculated that getting a bus pass for the day was not really worth it. From the station, it was a short walk to Fushimi-Inari shrine. This shrine is devoted to Inari, the Shinto god of rice.

I was the one who picked this destination, simply because I thought it would be beautiful. And I was right. Walking through the seemingly endless torii tunnels was an experience I couldn't describe with words. I simply wished I was there alone. Despite the inconveniences and security concerns, I always felt that travelling on my own has a romantic feel to it, because it enables me to be more immersed in the surroundings, without being distracted by conversations or sometimes disagreeing comments from a partner which may affect the experience. I truly wish that I can return to this place again in the future, to enjoy a quiet morning stroll up the mountains, and not in a hurry like this time.

The thousands of toriis or gateways are each sponsored by businessmen or companies seeking a blessing of fortune in their business. Fox statues are also a prominent feature of this shrine, as they are believed to be messengers of Inari. Food stalls found along the way up serve the well-known Kitsune (fox) udon, believed to be the foxes' favourite food. Even the wishing tablets here are kitsune shaped.

Again, time constraints did not allow us to complete the whole mountain trail which is supposed to be 4 km. After exploring almost half of the trail, we walked back to the train station. We encountered the usual souvenir street along the way. I fell in love with a cute maneki neko figurine which cost ¥600, but decided not to buy it. I'm sure I'll be returning here again anyway, this I promised myself. We got hungry and went to a nearby convenience store to look for our staple food - onigiri. I bought myself some inari sushi set instead, just for the fun of it. Mike bought the usual nevertheless. We sat down at a bench somewhere near the shrine's entrance to have lunch and watch people.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment