|
profile Cecilia Lanny Winata Aliases: Lanny/Cecilia/Xenopus Location: Singapore Occupation: Grad Student, National University of Singapore Interests: Zen, Martial Arts, Japanese Culture and philosophy, Life Sciences, Religious philosophy, Christianity Hobbies: exploring new places, learning new things, walking (preferably outdoors), cooking, eating good food, home making, swimming, sea sports, anime (Naruto being the best by far), good music to accompany my different moods, and good books to read Schools/Past Affiliations: TK Bunda Hati Kudus, Jakarta (Kindergarten); SD Bintang Kejora, Jakarta (Primary 1-2, 4-6); Ironside State School, Brisbane, Australia (Primary 3-4); SLTP Santa Ursula, Jakarta (Secondary School); SMU Santa Ursula (High School); Indonesia International Taekwon-Do Federation (Jelambar, Jakarta); National University of Singapore archives November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 April 2006 May 2006 August 2006 October 2006 January 2007 August 2007 January 2008 March 2008 June 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 September 2009 affiliates 5h4d0w's Lair My old Friendster blog credits skin by: Jane |
Sunday, September 28, 2008 @ 8:42 PM
On the art of cooking Cooking is not something one can learn. Rather, I prefer to see it as a form of art. The mastery of cooking is not measured by how many types of dishes one can successfully make, for that could easily be done by following the cookbook (and therefore should be called something like "reproduction of recipe" or the likes). I personally think that the art of cooking is about knowing what to do with a particular ingredient, and what NOT to do with it, such that when stared in the face by a particular ingredient, one who had mastered the art of cooking would be filled with many inspirations of what to make of it. The highest level of mastery would be the stage where one can create something new and original out of his/her thorough knowledge of these things. And no, I never watched cooking master anime or the likes. These thoughts came purely out of my inner geek mind, and, if you would excuse me, I'm kind of proud of it. I have yet to reach that stage. I'm definitely nowhere near, possibly somewhere slightly above "reproduction of recipe" stage. But everyone needs to start somewhere, right? I have been obsessed with cooking nowadays. I just can't restrain myself from trying new recipes. Each time I see a particular food which I like, I can't help but wonder how to make it on my own, so that I could enjoy it as and when I feel like it. And every time I come across a cookbook, a cooking show on TV, or a cooking website in the internet, I feel like making whatever is presented there. So far, there have been several principles which I've learnt from my adventures in the kitchen. Basically, I have come to an (personally) acceptable result for my walnut brownies, oreo cheesecake, pork meatloaf (recipe courtesy of my mentor), choco-kahlua balls, etc. to mention a few. Routine stir fry dishes are not counted since they are quite simple to make, but I do learn a few tricks of how not to get my veggies too limp, for example. I have also gotten a rough idea of what spices can get along well with each other and what doesn't. Salads and pasta are another of my favourite type. Besides being healthy and easy to make, I think they can provide a break from the usual chinese flavours which I tend to cook more due to its simplicity (and financially friendly). However, I find it hard to get fresh vegetables for salad in common supermarkets in singapore. Normally we either had to be contempt with local versions of lettuce (which is also difficult to find the very good quality ones) or we had to go to a supermarket which caters more to the western community here (which costs slightly more). My near future ambition will be more complicated cakes/pastry, which include Caramel Pecan pie (which I got to encouter during the zebrafish conference banquet in Madison last June), Banana Bread Pudding, Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies, different kinds of muffins, (oh bother... why are all such high calorie stuff?) and many more... Having said all these, there is one problem which I am still trying to deal with: the cooking must surely go somewhere, into someone's mouth (and stomach, and processed for energy, and its excess stored as lipid). And the most likely victim (or should I say, happily victimized) would be my other half, besides myself of course. I guess I need to control myself from making another cake or dish before we can finish whatever is still in the fridge... and for the sake of the upkeep of our physical aesthetic values... And yet I need to graduate. 0 Comments: |