profile

Cecilia Lanny Winata
Aliases: Lanny/Cecilia/Xenopus
Location: Singapore
Occupation: Grad Student, National University of Singapore
Interests: Zen, Martial Arts, Japanese Culture and philosophy, Life Sciences, Religious philosophy, Christianity
Hobbies: exploring new places, learning new things, walking (preferably outdoors), cooking, eating good food, home making, swimming, sea sports, anime (Naruto being the best by far), good music to accompany my different moods, and good books to read
Schools/Past Affiliations: TK Bunda Hati Kudus, Jakarta (Kindergarten); SD Bintang Kejora, Jakarta (Primary 1-2, 4-6); Ironside State School, Brisbane, Australia (Primary 3-4); SLTP Santa Ursula, Jakarta (Secondary School); SMU Santa Ursula (High School); Indonesia International Taekwon-Do Federation (Jelambar, Jakarta); National University of Singapore



archives

November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
April 2006
May 2006
August 2006
October 2006
January 2007
August 2007
January 2008
March 2008
June 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
September 2009



affiliates

5h4d0w's Lair
My old Friendster blog








credits

skin by: Jane
Monday, January 07, 2008 @ 11:37 PM
Bitchin' around

Taken from Xenopus’ Essays in Idleness,

Sometime in October 2007

I’ve been keeping this for sometime… and since it’s been a frustrating day today, I’m making a scapegoat out of this:

Sometime ago, several of our friends from a student’s Catholic community in the campus approached us for help. They needed some help with their cell groups. Their proposal was simple and sincere, just to ask if some of the seniors could join in their CGs to help liven it up.

While the proposal may demand a simple respond (either yes or no + valid reasons), I am quite appalled by the various answers presented by some of the seniors. Most of them contained several of these points:

- I am willing

- BUT

- I am NOT FIT to do it

- Because of my imperfect lifestyle

- Go look for someone else

- while it is evident to even the most clueless of the lot that their suggested arrangement is never going to work.

I find these answers rather confusing, if not disturbing. It is sad for those who are sincerely asking for help, because those whom they sincerely saw fit for the role, actually (or pretend to) deny themselves as a lame excuse for not helping out. I can only think of 2 possible meanings to such response:

Either: 1. can’t make it or not willing to but don’t want to hurt people’s feelings by saying the truth à which is rather lame.

OR: 2. as of the above, PLUS, a twisted attempt to glorify themselves (subconsciously perhaps) by trying to get people to think how humble they are à which is TOTALLY lame.

If I were those asking for help, I would be dumbfounded by this kind of response… I would seriously feel that these people have belittled my intelligence…

(i.e. Me: “hey, I think you’re strong enuff to help me carry this…”

Some idiot: “Oh, sorry, I think you might want to look for someone else (points to an old man hardly being able to support himself on his own feet), coz I’ve got muscle dystrophy”

Me thinks: either I’m the idiot for not being able to recognize people with muscle dystrophy, or the idiot is simply making a lame excuse…)

While I am not in a position to judge, I do think that these so-called seniors should learn how to be honest in their reasoning. I mean, COME ON, PEOPLE! If you really can’t make it because of some other commitments just tell them so. No need to use lame excuses like “I’m not fit” or “I’m too sinful” or the likes… only a primary school kid would think that people will actually see it as being humble… some people they are!

GEEZ, can’t understand that there are still people who haven’t grown out of these at our age…



2 Comments:

Lanny! Fanny neh (temen SMU)

Some people just don't want to be put as "elders" especially in a religious organization. They'll be judged differently. Sometimes I feel that way.

By Blogger a0z0ra, at 11:05 PM  

alo Fanny! ^_^
how do you define "judged differently"? to me, I will never truly feel that I am cut out for a particular job. Nevertheless, I will see that as a chance offered by God to improve ourselves. We all learn from exposing ourselves to the risk of making mistakes & being humiliated. The issue on giving out a reasonable excuse is another one, where I sometimes see people giving out ridiculous excuses which makes them look as if they are trying to act humble. Just like the example I quoted ^_^

By Blogger Xenopus, at 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment